Making speech synthesisers speak a particular way

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jan 4 06:40:57 EST 2008

Hello,
So as I am understanding this, it might be best to use SSML, and work
directly with a particular synths api (eg. use the espeak shared
library) to make things cross platform (as we have no cross platform
common access system like speech-dispatcher is on Linux). As I know
people don't always like the sound of espeak, I could output the text
with SSML to a file so that it could be used by another synth (I think I
might have seen comments in festival about it supporting SSML), but I
might not guarantee it works (eg. if the Microsoft sapi standard varies
slightly then it might not speak as I really want it to).

Thanks for the help.

From
Michael Whapples