does anything upset speakup?

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Jan 4 02:58:23 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:55:19PM +1000, Amanda Tink wrote:
> I have a little time on my hands to try installing a few new things for
> the first time ever.  And it's just occurred to me to wonder if there's
> anything I could possibly install that might upset my speakup's world, and
> cause it to crash or not talk or whatever?

	Only installing a new kernel would do that, and only if the new
kernel didn't have SspeakUp support.  Linux is a series of layers, and
the kernel is the foundation on which everything sits, so unless you tear
out that foundation, speakup will continue to work without a hitch.  As
long as text is being sent to the console or text screen,, the kernel will
repeat that text to your voice synthesizer, and Debian goes out of it's
way not to break any of it's consoles.  If you're going to  possibly
break anything, it will be software speech synthesis in the GUI, which
isn't a text console, and redirects screen output a different way, as with
the Orca screen reader.  Make a copy of your entire /etc directory, just
in case.  The kernel will never be replaced unless  secifically told to do
so, but Debian has an annoying habit of removing tons of packages just to
install something you thought you wanted to try out...like the the entire
X11 window system.  Use aptitude, which has the option of cancelling an
operation you don't like.  HTH,

				Michael