More about DOS systems

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Fri Feb 29 14:43:02 EST 2008

Alex,

I promised several folks I would give it a shot, and am putting the
pieces together to attempt that now. You put your finger on the main
missing piece of the puzzle, as I see it now. But provox needs a good
overhaul itself. It is officially more than 20 years old, pre-dating
avision from Artic. It first supported only three HW synths: the Echo
GP, the Votrax external synth, and the Intex Talker. When the Votrax
"votalker" internal board was produced, provox was the first screen
reader to support it. Then the guys with the know-how left Votrax to
form their own company, Artic Technologies, and took the Votalker
concept with them, and provox actually supported the Artic internal
board even before Avision was released. So it's definitely not very
up-to-date, but it is robust and anal-obsessively small. Provox and
Tiny Talk were locked in a friendly race to see who could squeeze the
most code into the smallest space. I forget who won. It was the race
that mattered, not the outcome.

Chuck