Slackware packages for software speech?

Zachary Kline z_kline at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:33:27 EST 2008

Hiya,
I just decided to try my hand at running a (virtual) slackware system.
I have Slackware Current, if only because Version 12 refused to cooperate for some reason.
I was wondering if anybody had any packages I could use for software speech already compiled?  I can do the compilation from source, but was just hopeful I might not have to.  Greg, perhaps?
Also, what tools do you guys use for packaging now that checkinstall is depricated?
Thanks much,
Zack.