4DOS

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Tue Feb 26 22:13:09 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:32:57PM -0500, Doug Smith wrote:
> What I want to do is to write a science fi???tion story series, put up a
> web site, and publish this story series for sale.  However, I don't
> want to have to do it with a text editor.  I want real word processing
> software to do it with.
:End-Quote:

	Have you tried contacting ExLibris?  They will often take on new
authors and publish their works on the web, rather than going	through
the trouble of running off a full-fledged printing that may or may not
sell.  As for jstar, it's likely only a text editor with WordStar key
commands.  Even WordStar professional used dot-commands to modify text
attributes, since it wasn't a GUI word processor.  You get the same
effect by using tron/troff commands in a document in *nix.   A couple
keystrokes would hide or display those dot-commands, as well as the
carriage returns at the end of each paragraph.  WordStar Pro would just
save each paragraph as a single line of text, but display it on-screen
as being wrapped, as well as line text up on the right margin as well as
the left, so it looked like your typical printed page.  It did have a
graphical print preview that would show you what the eventual printed
page would look like though, but it was a CLI/text-only word processor.
	Since I barely have the GUI working on this thing, I can't tell
you much more about the word processors in linux.  Perhaps Open Office.
Also, O'Reilly's tech manuals very closely match their HTML  versions
published on the web, so you might consider using HTML to format your
text, rather than tron and troff.  I never really got into the printing
aspects of Linux.  linuxprinting.org might have more info on the
subject.  HTH,

			Michael