Demos

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 25 12:27:53 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have lots of disk space and access to a reliable web server running
Debian Etch.  I will host demos of any old DOS products for the blind
that people want to send.  I'm not really interested in magnifiers or
Windows programs with the possible exception of Win 3.1.  I will host
full versions that are not demos only if I get a legal statement from
the person sending me the files that they have contacted the company in
question and the company allows it.  I must also have copies of the
email from the actual company stating this fact.  I will not share the
email unless I'm asked.  I will leave it to someone else to make an
image if they want.

Regarding getting software relicensed, I doubt if the GPL would happen
but a "freeware" closed source license probably would happen.  The
companies aren't that hard to convince in some cases.  I'm sure Larry of
Microtalk would do it but I don't know him personally.  I would really
like to see APH release their Apple II software.  I am not experienced
in advocating for license changes but I would appreciate it if someone
would ask the various companies.  I'm sure GW Micro wouldn't go for it
just because they still sell Vocal-Eyes.  I would be surprised if
Freedom Scientific would either.  Humanware might because they use Linux
as the OS on the Victor Reader Stream and seem to be more open.

I'm not into regular DOS software demos unless they are very old,
unusual, somehow significant, or otherwise hard to find.  There are
already other sites doing that.  It should specifically be for the blind
or have something to do with speech or Braille.  Due to a router issue,
ftp doesn't work right so email attach is probably best.  If someone
wants to walk me through fixing ftp on a Linksys router, I'll try my
luck.  Don't expect any fancy web page but I'll put up the files
assuming they are legal demos and not huge.  Huge is subject to my
judgment but disk space isn't a problem right now.