4DOS

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 25 11:39:42 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gaijin" <gaijin at clearwire.net>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>

> Think it would be nice to collect all this old stuff and put it
> on a CD or DVD iso image.  I wonder what some of these defunct companies
> would say if we asked them to release the old, no longer supported
> source code to the GPL.  I miss the old WordStar Professional word
> processor.

By and large they'd say no.  I've seen it tried many times and mostly you
get no answer or a refusal. I think these people still have lawyers telling
them it's a bad idea. Maybe they have something to hide within their code --
like that it wasn't entirely their own in the first place.

Anyway, I don't know anything about 4dos but the FreeDOS project is alive
and well. Their mailing list is very active (google it). Anyone interested
in DOS applications should definately check out FreeDOS. For instance, I
know that Jaws for DOS; which is a free download on the Freedom Scientific
web site; runs under FreeDOS.

I have a diskette image on my web site that allows you to boot freeDOS with
jaws for DOS. It's configured to start talking with an external doubletalk
hardware synth. In other words, if you have a doubletalk, you can boot from
this diskette and get speech. See:

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/blindi/FreeDOS-ltlk.img

The diskette image also includes CD-ROM support. So, theoretically, you can
boot from a diskette made with this image and then access a CD-ROM. I was
hoping to install Windows this way. But the Windows installer craps out when
run under FreeDOS. However, you should be able to make a bootable CD-ROM
with this image.