4DOS

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sun Feb 24 15:17:46 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:46:30AM -0800, Tony Baechler wrote:
> While we're here, remember the BBS era?  Telnet
> BBSs are still around and can be accessed from DOS if you have a packet
> driver for your NIC card.
:End-Quote:

	<grins>  Used to run WWIV BBS on the old 25 Meg hard drive so I
didn't have to log in long distance and peruse the newsgroups.  Only
cost me an extra $5/month to transfer a compressed packet each day, and
contained the entire day's messages.  My first foray into networking and
C Programming.  The BBS sourcecode was available for $80, and mods were
being published for it all the time.  Had a blast until they switched
over to the $600 Borland compiler, which I couldn't afford (and didn't
see any reason in paying).  Was still sighted back then and ran up a
small fortune in long-distance charges downloading things like Commander
Keen and DooM! demos.  If I ever get phone access again, I plan on
calling up the old BBS I was networked with (Maxie's Toy).  I call the
number on the cell every once in awhile and still get a carrier detect
warble, though it might be a fax number now.  Might be fun porting WWIV
BBS to Linux, but the last time I looked, the author had started
including object code in the source.  Bugrit.

				Michael