almost got gnome-orca installed

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Feb 16 20:17:03 EST 2008

Yesterday turns out to have been a bad time to try to install gnome-orca.
The show stopper turned out to be an upgrade to libc6 that couldn't erase
the previous version of libc6 and install itself correctly.  That of
course stopped locales from being upgraded and those two together blocked
the rest of the upgrade to unstable from stable.  Will try on another day
and see if I get lucky then.  gnopernicus is what would be installed on
debian stable, but not knowing for sure if the installation had been good
that gnopernicus would work I tried for unstable and gnome-orca without
success.  For now the dsl modem is having issues and may or may not be
able to be straightened out later this week.  So I'm using dial up and dos
to send this email.  I'll check the debian disk and see if it has any
console modem programs later.  An interesting find I made and it's on the
debian distribution speakup disk though is localepurge.  This package
allows you to select which locales you want protected and to remain on
your system.  When next you update your system, and each time you update
your system after that all unprotected locales get deleted.  Can be
helpful for those a little tight on disk space.