SpeakupModified Fedora 8 Audio

Zachary Kline z_kline at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:01:05 EST 2008

    Hi,
In an attempt to get a Linux system with Speakup without having to patch kernels and such, I downloaded and decided to virtualize
 Fedora 8 via Qemu.  I have no hardware synthesizer, nor do I have the ports to install said hardware synthesizer anywhere on this computer, so I installed via Telnet.
Now I run into some problems with
 PulseAudio.  From what I understand, this should ideally be a pretty simple
 program which should just work.  I don't understand, though, why we couldn't have just stuck
 with Linux Alsa as it is now.  I have been wrestling with PA for some time, trying to get it working and not sure how to.  Removing the packages as suggested by the Speakupmodified.org site
 isn't really helping:I want sound in the graphical desktop too.
Has anybody managed to read through the wealth of traffic on the Fedora mailing lists and elsewhere and found a solution?
Thanks much,
Zack.