Problem when Pinging domain nameserver

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Feb 16 17:37:53 EST 2008

The hosts file is meant as a way of resolving machines on a small
local network, if you don't use a nameserver. Since you are running a
nameserver, ideally, the only entry in /etc/hosts should be for
127.0.0.1, localhost.

As for your resolv.conf, following your previous example, we'll assume
your domain is example.com, and that your name servers are
ns1.example.com (10.0.0.1), and ns2.example.com (10.0.0.2). So, with that in mind, your
/etc/resolv.conf should look like:

search example.com
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.2