more on hald conflict with Dectalk Express driver

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 28 12:12:29 EST 2008

I've done a little more testing to try and track down the problem that
causes Speakup to become sluggish if hald is running when using the
Dectalk USB with Speakup's Dectalk Express driver.  It turns out that any
action on the serial port that the Dectalk is connected to will cause the
problem.  For example, "echo 'Hello world.' >/dev/ttyS0" will make Speakup
sluggish.  Once this is done, there seems to be no way to restore normal
response.  I'm wondering if it was a good idea to allow the kernel to see
the serial port that the synth is on?  It seems to me that it was better
to hide it as in previous versions.  I know that this was listed as a bug,
but I don't agree.  Alternatively, could the serial port be marked as busy
in some way?  I know if you try to play two sounds at once on a
single-channel sound card without using ALSA's dmix plug-in, you get an
error back "device or resource busy."  Can that be done to the serial
port?  I think that would put this problem to rest once and for all.