newsreading with debian lenny

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Dec 24 05:09:18 EST 2008

Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> I am curious to know what you think about an application called newsx.
> The URL's for help and documentation seem to be unavailable, and I'm
> not sure it is still being supported. What role could it play in
> working with newsgroups?

Hi,

I'm not really sure. I might have looked at it when I was trying to set
up news about a year ago but it doesn't ring a bell. I think it's more
complicated because it requires a full news server such as inn which is
intended for large sites. leafnode is for small sites as the name
implies. What I finally ended up doing is setting up suck and ditching
any local news server. Tin doesn't need a local news server and that's
what I use to read. Since articles are almost always plain text, you
could just use less if you want, especially for moderated groups. Since
I'm not on dial-up, I can't say if newsx or suck are any faster. I
almost never post and my local setup obviously wouldn't allow posting
anyway because I don't run an actual news server. If one can get
leafnode working, I would think that would be easier than trying to set
up a full news server like inn or inn2. Then again, Usenet is starting
to die like most text-based media so perhaps it doesn't matter. One
thing I like about suck is that I can either pull articles manually or
set up a cron job. Leafnode does that but will delete articles in groups
that aren't read often. My idea here is more to archive them than to
actually read them, so I don't want articles disappearing from my local
server. I literally have archives of sci.space.news going back to 2003
this way which I doubt that I would have otherwise.