newsreading with debian lenny

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Tue Dec 23 10:58:39 EST 2008

That makes sense...I haven't been on usenet for some years, but back
when I was my isp had an account with supernews so everything worked
pretty well just connecting directly.  When they dropped supernews and
installed their own servers (running Tornado I think it was called,
some piece of crap nntp server that barely implemented the protocol
correctly) and I drifted away from usenet although I also went off to
school around that time so that might have caused it too.
On Tue, Dec 23,
2008 at 03:56:01AM -0800, Tony Baechler wrote:
> Alex Snow wrote:
> >If he's running leafnode he'd want to point his newsreader to
> >localhost.
> >I'm not sure why he'd bother use leafnode, I always just used rtin and
> >set it to use my ISP's newsserver.
> >

> Because maybe his ISP news server is slow and crappy like most are.
> Unless you pay for something like Supernews, it makes more sense to
> locally archive groups that you want to read.  I have extensive archives
> of some newsgroups that would be impossible with any ISP news server
> that I've used.  Even with a good news server, it seems common to have
> dropped articles.  I don't mean spam, I mean good articles that get
> dropped for no reason.  It's very hard to follow a discussion with 1/3
> of the conversation missing.  No, I'm not pushing for Supernews,
> actually there are better pay news services out there.  I only mention
> them because they're cheap and offer good text archives.  I think it's
> $5 or $6 per month.  Granted that isn't free, but it's better than the
> local ISP news server.
>
> In cases of readers other than tin, especially with very old readers
> like slrn, they expect you to run a local news server, thus leafnode is
> a good option.  Usenet, like other aspects of the Internet, goes back a
> very long time, long before broadband and the days when anyone could
> pull their own small news feed.

I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a
fundamental error.  Be thankful you are not my student.  You would not get a
high grade for such a design :-)
	-- Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds