slackware 12.1 kernel install question

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Thu Aug 21 10:55:16 EDT 2008

For gnome on slackware I've  been using Gnome.slackbuild lately with a lot of
success...They seem to be pretty good about updating packages frequently and the install
is extremely easy.  I just wish they would modularise their gnome-speech package, since
the one distributed only has festival support.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:29:50AM -0700,
Steve Holmes wrote:

> Oh, given that, I could probably proceed as I have always done then.
> I thought when reading the update and readme files for Slack 12.1 that
> initrd's had to be used now.  I'd some day like to get used to initrd
> and build one but so far, I've been lazy and just use the setup I
> have.  I too build replacement kernels as  soon as possible after
> upgrades like this because I like to patch in ntfs support and of
> course the latest speakups.  I don't have a dual core processer so I
> don't think I need SMP but that's another area I'm not really familiar
> with; dunno if it would hurt anything to include SMP support or not.
>
> When I looked, Slack 12.1 seemed to be really current on package
> versions too.  I just have to be careful with my gnome installation
> because that isn't native to slackware as you know and dropline hasn't
> updated in over six months! so if I upgrade slack 12.1 and update the
> X stuff, it might break my gnome setup; not sure there.
>
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:24:46AM -0400, Alex Snow wrote:
> > In slack 12.1 like in 12.0 the speakup.s kernel is automagically
> > installed if you booted with that kernel on the install disk.  There
> > are some issues when using the install cd since you have to install
> > packages from the second CD and then grab the kernels from the first
> > CD (in 12.0 at least, it wouldn't prompt you to reinsert the first
> > disk, then explode because it couldn't find the kernels
> > directory--this may be fixed in 12.1).  Other then that, as long as
> > you specify your synth parameters when the installer is configuring
> > Lilo everything should come up talking.
> > Slackware 12.1 also doesn't require initrds, the speakup.s kernel has
> > everything you need compiled in.  I usually replace this with a
> > patched version of one of the smp-enabled kernels rather quickly after
> > install, again you don't need an initrd if you use the hugesmp kernel,
> > or do what I do and take the standard smp kernel and add needed
> > filesystem drivers into the kernel.
> > On
> > Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:45:40PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> >
> > --
> > If Bill Gates is the Devil then Linus Torvalds must be the Messiah.
> > 	-- Unknown source
>
> - --
> HolmesGrown Solutions
> The best solutions for the best price!
> http://holmesgrown.ld.net/

Seriously, the way I did this was by using a special /sbin/loader binary
with debugging hooks that I made ("dd" is your friend: binary editors
are for wimps).
	-- Linus Torvalds, in an article on a dnserver