slackware 12.1 kernel install question

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Aug 21 03:29:50 EDT 2008

Oh, given that, I could probably proceed as I have always done then.
I thought when reading the update and readme files for Slack 12.1 that
initrd's had to be used now.  I'd some day like to get used to initrd
and build one but so far, I've been lazy and just use the setup I
have.  I too build replacement kernels as  soon as possible after
upgrades like this because I like to patch in ntfs support and of
course the latest speakups.  I don't have a dual core processer so I
don't think I need SMP but that's another area I'm not really familiar
with; dunno if it would hurt anything to include SMP support or not.

When I looked, Slack 12.1 seemed to be really current on package
versions too.  I just have to be careful with my gnome installation
because that isn't native to slackware as you know and dropline hasn't
updated in over six months! so if I upgrade slack 12.1 and update the
X stuff, it might break my gnome setup; not sure there.