Debian Mess

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Aug 10 16:06:17 EDT 2008

I don't know quite the best way to answer your question right now.
Tha lack of gnome natively in Slackware is one big draw-back to
Slackware.  I like slackware bad enough to try and install gnome
separately.  There are several gnome "mini distros" out there.  I
started with Drop Line gnome and it installed easily enough but I am
quite disappointed that it has not been keeping up with latest gnome
versions.  I'm a bit afraid to upgrade my slackware 12.0 to 12.1 for
it might mess up the drop line gnome packages.  I'm tempted to go and
upgrade to 12.1 and remove dropline and consider another gnome
distro.  I forget right now the names of others.  For my non-gnome
boxes, I'm inclined to stick with Slackware indefinitely but I'm
really tempted to start over with Debian but I am very partial to the
/etc file structure that Slackware uses; I'm not crazy about the
System V structure used by Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora.