debian speakup emacs upgrade

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 30 06:06:25 EDT 2008

Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> 7. Reboot. You are running your new system.

This is incorrect.  There is no good reason to reboot a Linux system
unless you change the kernel.  You will probably need to restart
services like ssh, but this should be done automatically.  After you
upgrade the kernel, then reboot.  Also, the release notes for each new
release give very clear, step by step upgrade instructions and should be
followed instead when moving from a stable release like Sarge to the
next stable release like Etch.  Often there will be other small upgrade
steps unique to each release that are not accounted for in Chuck's
outline.  For example, because of a library change, I had to recompile
Qmail from source after upgrading the libc6 package, but this was not
talked about in the release notes because Qmail wasn't part of main at
the time.  Actually, I ended up getting the qmail-src package which
required build-essential and email was down for some time while I was
frantically recompiling.  I never got djbdns to work because I didn't
feel like recompiling it.  Finally, until packages are frozez in Lenny,
the "testing" and "unstable" releases are the same, the difference being
that testing gets packages slower than unstable does.

I strongly suggest that people wanting to run unstable or testing join
the debian-devel-announce mailing list.  It's low traffic and gives you
an idea of how progress is being made on the next upcoming releases.  I
recently read that Python 2.5 is transitioning into Lenny for example
which means that Python packages might get broken.  You can join at:
http://lists.debian.org/