debian speakup emacs upgrade

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 30 05:53:52 EDT 2008

Gaijin wrote:
> full-upgrade repeatedly can have strange, unwanted results.  My debsecan
> package is giving me grief over the same reason, because there's a newer
> module in perl than the one it needs to backport to. <shrugs>

Hi,

There are a couple solutions to this.  First, aptitude will downgrade
packages, so you could try downgrading the perl module.  Second, if you
go to a Debian mirror with ftp and look in the pool/main/w/whatever
directory, replacing /w/whatever with the correct first letter and
package name respectively, you might be able to download the .deb
package directly.  Finally, you can go to Debian snapshots and pick any
date and release which will let you downgrade that way, such as Lenny
for a month ago.  I think the url is http://snapshots.debian.net/ but
that might not be right.  It was just recently posted here.  You might
also check the Ubuntu archives as well if you don't want to use a
snapshot archive.