Bug: speech not coming up on boot

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Apr 27 08:09:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

I strongly suggest not using the Shane Etch kernel.  It has known
security flaws and has not been updated in over a year.  That's one of
the reasons why I built the 2.6.24 kernel packages.  Since you're
already running unstable, there's no reason not to upgrade to my kernel
packages.  I suppose if you're the only user of the machine the security
issues don't matter as much, but still a malicious program could take
advantage of them.  Look at http://security.debian.org/ and read the
advisories for the kernel.  Maybe Shane has an apt repository that I
don't know about which contains fixed kernels but I doubt it and have
never seen an url for it other than his directory on people.debian.org.

I did have it set to beep when it gets to the login prompt but that no
longer seems to be working.  I had a major hassle with udev and getting
rid of grml junk and somehow /etc/rc.local no longer seems to be working
as it should.  I like the idea of putting a beep command at the point
that it switches out of read only mode but I don't know when that
happens.  I could put a script in /etc/init.d to do that but I think
mounting and fsck happen before init starts.

Again, here are the urls for my kernel packages:

http://baechler.net.nyud.net/debian/
http://baechler.net/debian/ if the above doesn't work

All feedback on the kernel packages would be appreciated.