Speakup and Software Speech with Gentoo Linux

Keithint38 at Commspeed.net Keithint38 at Commspeed.net
Sat Apr 19 22:41:31 EDT 2008

Hi all,
Just curious with the Git version of Speakup if anyone has managed to get
Gentoo Linux working with latest version of Speech-Dispatcher, Speechd-up
0.4, and the native ESpeak module?
My Gentoo box has kernel 2.6.24-Gentoo-R-whatever, and currently has the
Speakup Git with the software speech synthesizer driver built directly
into the kernel.
Regards, --Keith.
P.s.
Does Speakup still automatically load synthesizers? or must boot-up
options be spessifyed in the bootloader configuration file? I.e. LILO,
GRUB?
I put sftsyn into the line in the kernel config of Speakup that had None
in the () feeld and put it as (fstsyn) and assume that software speech
will automatically launch on system boot.
If not, then I can edit my grub.conf, and place speakup.soft or whatever I
need to pre-pend as a kernel option.
Also please do not give me LILO instructions as I only use GRUB. :).
Thanks again.