Speakup and Linux 2.6.24 - Almost Got It Working

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:33:45 EDT 2008

Kirk,

I recompiled the kernel including Speakup as modules.  I am able to log in
and do modprobe speakup_ltlk start=1
I have both the softsynth and ltlk compiled as modules.  I can try compiling
one (ltlk) into the kernel and the softsynth as a module and see if that
fixes anything.  Could it be that compiling them both into the kernel could
be causing an issue?  Guess it's worth experimenting.  So, yes, I am able to
get speech by loading it as a module but I wish to hear start-up
messages--that is the beauty of Speakup!!

Robby