Speakup Web Site

W. Nick Dotson nickdotson at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 15 11:09:04 EDT 2008

I want to learn about Linux, use it to get real stuff like e-mail and personal word processing done, plus many other ideas of things I'd like to be able to do with
it as an alternative to everything I now do in Windoes.  The problem is, it seems that the only way into Linux is to be a programmer and have the time and
energy to wade through the disorganized poorly written documentation out their in Linux land.  Janina's stuff is well written, and usually she understands that
some of us need to be lead by the hand as we're absorbing jargon and concepts, but that's the exception to most of what I've encountered and what has
stopped me from persuing my interest.  I would like to see a site with resources which would help me as an interested newbee which didn't expect I could
program in C, have used UNIX for the last 40 years, and want to spend the few minutes I have to spare for this writing code I don't know how to write.  As I
see it, Linux will be a Geekish dead-end until it gets enough user's to fund useful interfaces and code for useful applications rather than tinker toys where
people are talking about scripting this module and that, compiling Etc., something most of us who want to do real things have neither time nor patience or
energy for not to mention expertise.  (grin)  So, education and tutorials, and ways those of us with Windows can get the tools to build our Linux computers
which will most likely be retired Windows boxes until we get good and knowledgeable enough to build dedicated Linux boxes from scratch.

Nick