SSL Certs

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Sep 30 18:32:58 EDT 2007

First, I need to express my ignorance about SSL and how certs work but
that aside, I have a question and wonder if anyone can help.

When I try to use Fetchmail to get some mail from gmail using an SSL
option, I get cert verification errors which I will show later in this
message.  First, I'll include my .fetchmailrc with id/password
filtered and then I'll follow that with a script of the session.

poll pop.gmail.com proto pop3
localdomains holmesgrown.com no dns
user steve.holmes88 at gmail.com pass ???? is steve here ssl
#mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d  %T"

I then use the fetchmail command with no options using the config
above but note the errors below.

Script started on Sun 30 Sep 2007 03:19:15 PM MST
steve at pillow:~$ fetchmail
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
fetchmail: No mail for steve.holmes88 at gmail.com at pop.gmail.com
steve at pillow:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun 30 Sep 2007 03:19:51 PM MST

Any ideas on why it can't validate the certs or where even to find
them if needs be?
Thanks for any help.