a question about distro size?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Wed Sep 19 19:56:50 EDT 2007

Okay,
I just did some looking in my speakup folder here on shellworld, where i
keep all of the posts from this list  and blinux.
ahem it is over 14 thousand strong now, dating back to i kid you not 2004.
So, I am going to wisely assume times have changed.

As a result let me ask the following.
I do not wish if I can help it to compile allot of programs, or
not at first, preferring a
distro with as many packages included as possible.  I will be using a
Dec talk express on a machine with a real serial port.  i will also be
using whatever Linux distro I choose as the second os, with DOS being my
main operating system.
I understand that spider monkey?, is needful for some of the more java
script related browsers, but have no memory of it discussed here...not
saying it has not been.
I desire being able to listen to streaming audio, I suppose capture in a
simple way.
Will welcome ftp too, although some of that can be done on shellworld,
perhaps  a way to send something to my shellworld ftp for sending to
someone else, or taking down some of my files from shellworld via ftp.
The machine I will use has already a 20gb hard drive, and I must leave
some space for my present c and d drives in my present Dos machine.
I realize I may want to get a larger drive before trying the Linux part of
my life, but  may not have time before I move, so want to know what I am
in for.
I will keep many functions in Dos  like my word processing, etc.
Now that I have been i really hope more clear, which do I need debian or
Fedora, or something else?
Which has the best support for the dec express?
Forgive me if this is baby stuff, but I want to make an informed decision in
advance.
Thanks,
Karen