ot: the best online computer parts store?

Jane Lee applegoddess at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:44:31 EDT 2007

It may not meet standards, nor might it be usable in links or what
have you, but if you're willing to go through some of the cruft,
newegg is not an online retailer to be ignored.  Not I'm not saying
it's perfectly accessible, just that you shouldn't just throw it out
if you can deal with it.

Cody: Compared to newegg, outletpc is practically a joke in terms of
selection from what I've looked at so far.  Some..wait, make that
most, manufacturers, e.g. for motherboards, are completely missing.  I
think newegg has more socket am2 motherboards than all of outletpc's
mobo selection combined.  Also not available are nice discounts for
combos.  Even on the hardware outletpc has that newegg also has the
prices aren't that comparable.

Newegg also has the fantastic option that not many have to seriously
narrow down exactly what you want - e.g. go from Motherboard to AMD
compatible to socket AM2 to sort by manufacturer/price..free shipping
or not, bestsellers, and so on.

If you're willing to spend the time and use the software that'll make
your newegg experience least painful, it's worth it.  And if you like
it enough, you should complain to them about it:
http://www.newegg.com/Info/ContactUs.aspx

for what it's worth, I don't work for newegg.  I also like some other
retailers like zipzoomfly and (used to like) tiger direct.  However, I
don't get the newegg bashing, cause other than the slight
inaccessibility (please don't flame me for this, it's completely
subjective) it's a fantastic place.  In fact even if it were more
expensive than some of its competitors I'd still go here, because
their products get shipped to me fast because i live near one of their
warehouses, and also because their customer support, like I have said,
is amazing.

cheers,
jane