speakup and touchpad questions

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Thu Sep 6 21:42:37 EDT 2007

Touchpad is like a mouse, and a mouse generates x-y coordinates,
generally only useful on GUI, and although there is console mouse
text selection with gpm driver, I don't think it is really practical as
a means to control speech. Not to say it's not possible, it certainly
could be done with a special driver, but I think it would be more
annoying than useful to use. I have thought about other devices
though like joysticks and navigation type switches, I think those
have potential for this kind of thing. With a mouse or touchpad
a driver could be written that simply determines left, right, up,
down, and clicks, and does something uselful, but the modality
of such devices doesn't fit well with the task.

  -- Doug