speakup doesn't patch into 2.6.22.6

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Wed Sep 5 19:40:55 EDT 2007

Linux from scratch is completely compiled from source
and isn't really a distribution. It could be made into one,
but what results is really quite large in disk space used
and it's tedious to maintain. It is definitely interesting and
a great experience to build the entire mess from source,
but I think it would make more sense to use another
distro's baseline to build a new distro. Otherwise, too
much time is spent on really basic things before you
even get to anything specific to speech or command line
tools. I made a linux from scratch distro a couple of
years ago that I was putting on several machines but
it is too much work to maintain. It will certainly give
you much appreciation for the work that goes into
slackware, debian, gentoo, ubuntu, etc.

There are a few live CD images of linux from scratch
around though that may be interesting as a baseline
for a speech enabled bootable image.

  -- Doug