speech-dispatcher 0.6.4 issue

Lukas Loehrer listaddr1 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 10:45:33 EDT 2007

I doubht your problem is specific to speech-dispatcher.

In general, it is true that multiple applications can play sound via
alsa at the same time using plugins like dmix. However, they will
still prevent OSS programs from accessing /dev/dsp. There appear to be ways of configuring alsa in
such a way that /dev/dsp goes through dmix as well, but I have never
managed to get this to work myself.

Your best bet is to use Alsa enabled applications wherever possible
and use aoss for the legacy OSS stuff.

As for the aoss command, it seems to depend heavily on the specific OSS
application whether or not you get usable results with it.

For flite, use a version of flite that contains my patch for alsa
support.

Best regards, Lukas