slackware and accessibility packages

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Oct 5 08:12:28 EDT 2007

I would be quite interested in how things go for you.  I too built
packages for some of these but never got them publically posted.  A
couple things I seemed to run into were necessary customizations that
might make it dificult to share to the general public without
compatibility issues.  Don't suppose speech dispatcher / espeak /
speechd-up fall into this but my package building experience is green
aat the very least.:)

I had been using checkinstall to help build some of these but I began
running into unpredictable incidents where the build process would
louse up my production environment so am going back to manually
derived SlackBuild scripts to construct these in the future.

Anyway, I'm probabally veering way off topic for this list so would be
willing to collaborate with you to further this effort if possible.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:53:25AM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't know how much interest this would be, but I am sure you will let
> me know. I am thinking of creating slackware packages of some of the
> accessibility related tools and any dependencies which are not already
> in packaged formats. This would also cover any dependencies for these
> packages which are not already available in slackware packages (either
> from slackware or some of the alternative repositories). I have
> currently made packages for espeak and speech-dispatcher (I have also
> done dotconf as this is a dependency for speech-dispatcher).
>
> I am considering starting a project/community for this topic. Aims would
> be to create and maintain SlackBuild scripts and packages as described
> above, encourage mainstream projects to include accessibility as default
> (eg. gnome slacky www.slacky.eu installs orca, gnome-speech as default
> when doing a full install, and they have festival in the repository, but
> they don't install festival as part of a full install (so orca by
> default cannot output speech), I would try and encourage them to alter
> this to include festival as part of a full install). Also I would try
> and encourage projects to take on packages not currently included at all
> and possibly maintain the package for them (eg. neither slackware or
> gnome slacky have espeak, speech-dispatcher or speechd-up so there is no
> way to use speakup with software synths without compiling software). I
> would not intend to try and create a custom distro of slackware, as I
> think it is preferrable if the accessibility is there as default,
> although I wouldn't rule it out should there be a significant call for
> something and it being sufficiently different that a custom distro would
> make sense (eg. a slackware install disk with speakup and software
> speech support, so an install can be done without a hardware synth).
>
> Any ideas on this? Is there call for this?
>
> From
> Michael Whapples

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!