Laptop recommendations

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Tue Nov 27 08:47:02 EST 2007

Something to watch with dells is the different wireless cards...the
card that uses an intel chipset (3945 I believe) appears to work
pretty well, and is called 'dell wireless 1390 I think.  Therer's also
a "dell 1490" card, which uses a bcm4310 chipset, which isn't even
listed in the table of supported hardware on the linux bcm43xx driver
page and doesn't work with the driver at least not the one in kernels
up to 2.6.21 series.
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 07:48:17PM -0800, Gaijin
wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 11:52:46PM -0800, Hurst, Cody wrote:
> > Yup Dell is nice enough to do that. If you are lucky you might even get
> > wirelesss to work out of the box..
>
> 	Not much of a wireless person, myself.  AFAIK, the Dell I'm
> getting doesn't have wireless, and I would probably rip it out if it
> did.  I wouldn't mind it on a removable PCMCIA card, though.  The WiFi
> version, anyway.
>
> 				Michael

How do you power off this machine?
	-- Linus, when upgrading linux.cs.helsinki.fi, and after using the machine for several months