speakup modified installation CD

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 9 12:12:27 EST 2007

A couple of things:

1. I've made a modified debian installation CD that allows you to install
via a doubletalk without having to enter the cheat code. In other words, if
you connect up a doubletalk to ttyS0 and boot from this CD, it will just
start talking. You can download it here:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/debian-40r0-i386-amd64-NETINST-speakup-ltlk.iso

2. i have a problem with the debian installer (both my modified  CD and the
original one from Shane's space on debian.org).  When you get to the part
where you "Select and install software", it always wants to uninstall the
kernel. Sometimes it asks if you want to abort the uninstall. That's not too
bad since you can just say, yes, you want to abort the uninstall. But even
worse is that often it just uninstalls it.  It seems to leave the kernel
intact if you select an unmodified kernel. But then, of course, the machine
is not going to talk when it bootts.

Is there a good way to prevent the installer from uninstalling the speakup
modified kernel?