Hello

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Nov 9 01:13:11 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:17:53PM -0500, VaShaun Jones wrote:
> Hello, I sent a message to this list introducing myself and never got
> a response. I wanted to know what is the best distribution of Linux to
> get that will run good with Fusion and can I download it?

	Hello VaShaun,

	I'd have replied, but I don't know what Fusion is, and as for
which distro, I use Slackware v11, as it suppports my hardware speech
synthesizer .  Ubuntoo should be a good choice.  It's a matter of what
you want or need, as well as taste.  I chose Slackware because I've
heard that it's one of the more secure distros and doesn't use RPM or
dpkg package managers.  I plan on porting to LFS (Linux From Scratch) in
the near future, which is about as hard as Linux gets.  Maybe I'm a
masochist, but I despise Slackware's BSD style initialization scripts.
very disorganized, but what can you expect to come out of Berkeley these
days.  Fedora and Ubuntoo both support software speech synthesis and
should do you well.  The Linux kernel is in the middle of a transition
at the moment as everything seems to be moving to USB devices, and
SpeakUp isn't quite up there yet.  Only serial speech synthesizers are
currently supported.  Until the dust clears, or unless you have a serial
synthesizer, I recomment Ubuntoo and Fedora.  Just stick the CD in the
drive and read the installation docs on the disk.  You'll have to look
for the many download sites to get a copy, or just buy the CDs from
places like CheapBytes.  If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll
go through many flavors of Linux before settling on a distro you love.
Take care,

        Michael