What is the difference between Speakup and Zipspeak?

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon Nov 5 09:46:29 EST 2007

Speakup is the screenreader for the linux console.  Zipspeak is a
linux distribution (actually a modified version of zipslack, which is
constructed from slackware) that includes speakup.  I wouldn't
recommend zipspeak anymore...it's about 5 years out of date and will
only work on a fat32 filesystem.
On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 06:00:21PM
-0800, Charlie Dorff wrote:
> Hi...
> I was wondering what the difference is between Speakup and Zipspeak. After Zipspeak is downloaded does it behave similar to Speakup? Thanks.
> Charlie

We use Linux for all our mission-critical applications.  Having the source code
means that we are not held hostage by anyone's support department.
	-- Russell Nelson, President of Crynwr Software