Debian install with Software Speech?

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue May 29 10:42:09 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zachary Kline" <Z_kline at hotmail.com>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:52 AM
Subject: Debian install with Software Speech?

> Hiya,
>    I don't have access to a hardware speech synthesizer, and so was
> wondering what the options are for me to get a Debian install.  I know
> that Gentoo can run SSHD, and let me do the install manually with another
> machine, but Deebian doesn't seem to do this.
> Does anybody have any advice?

I've done a couple of installs via the old serial tty approach. There are
still a lot of howtos out on the web for this but briefly, what you need to
do is attach a null modem cable to the serial port on the target machine,
connect the other end to a machine that already has speech and fire up a
terminal emulator program on  that machine.  At the boot prompt, type 'linux
console=ttyS0,9600n8'. There are lots of variations on what you'd type at
the boot prompt so consult the howtows.