DecTalk PC Reading Program

Radical NetSurfer radsurfer at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 18:20:29 EDT 2007

I just wanted to pass along the news of an interesting
program I have started developing in CentOS 5...
this comes after being able to get my ISA Dectalk PC 2
card working flawlessly in the 2.6 linux kernel.

the new program I am designing is written in gcc and
uses ncurses, and runs from a terminal.

The program is designed to read any ordinary ascii
text file, you can pause and resume in real time, you
can move forward 10% to 90% using the 1 through 9
keys, 0 key rewinds the file to the start.
Pressing T while the file is read will insert into the
text to speech stream the percentage into the file you
are at, and the amount of minutes that have been used
reading. (takes a moment for it to be heard, but not
too long).
In order for the keyboard commands to be obeyed, of
course, the terminal window must have the focus.
ncurses must be linked into the program to provide
keyboard support.
The program also displays the line number and
percentage into the file on the screen as the actual
text itself is fed into Dectalk.

So far, I have read the Diane C. startrek novel
"Final Frontier", an excellant T.O.S. startrek novel,
and had no problems at all following every detail.
After this book, if you're a startrek fan, read
"Best Destiny" about how James T. Kirk actually became
captain, if you follow the novels.

I imagine with some minor effort, this program could
be adapted to Doubletalk ISA card as well, although
it's not a high priority for me right now.

This is the best program I have ever seen for the
Dectalk, and not too shabby for a deprecated peice of
hardware, lol.

Inquiries should be sent to RadSurfer at yahoo.com

//Rich//