Alsa and software speech

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.org
Thu May 24 02:55:46 EDT 2007

    ZK> Hello, I am dealing with a fairly annoying problem--one which
    ZK> seems quite complex. How do I achieve software mixing with Alsa?
    ZK> (I want to be able to play an MP3 stream and also have software
    ZK> speech going.) The information I've found so far seems to center
    ZK> on a file named asoundrc--which I've never heard of before, and
    ZK> who's format is a mystery to me. Could anybody be so kind as to
    ZK> give some general information on this? What is Dmix, for
    ZK> example?

Hi,

if you will use latest alsa then you don't need set up dmix. alsa use it
automaticaly. Only you must be carrrefuly if you have on your system
.asoundrc which is not compatible with a new version of alsa but if you
have a new linux installation then will be OK.

For playing you need alsa clients or for oss client you can install
alsa-oss on debian for example. Then you can play with command: aoss
playcommand FILE .

Best

--

Jan Buchal