alsa questions?

Amanda Tink amanda at amandatink.net
Sun May 20 16:55:08 EDT 2007

Hi Doug,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.  One of the things I love about
linux is there is always a solution, it just needs an idea to put you on
the right track.  There are specific responses to some of your suggestions
below.

Doug Sutherland wrote:
> If you do lspci command does it show both sound cards?

Yes it does.

> Have you tried getting each sound card working separately
> before trying to get them both working at the same time?

I personally haven't, but my friend who did the upgrade said they were
both working fine before he tried to set the SB Live as the default.  I
can play ogg files on the ensoniq card.

> In the BIOS settings there is configuration for PCI slots,
> you may be able to do manual setting the PCI slots that
> have the cards installed rather choosing auto.

Sounds big, but I'm willing to try it if necessary.

> It would be worthwhile to try to find out what the error
> code -12 means on the following error message
> EMU10K1X: probe of 0000:00:0f.0 failed with error -12

Oh, trust me, I have.  And I haven't found anything useful yet.  Though
that may well be because of my own lack of knowledge.

> Perhaps looking at the alsaconf source code would help
> determine what triggers the -12 error and what it means,

Another good thought.  I'll give it a go.

> BTW I love your email signature,

Thank you.  The whole thing is beautiful.  I'm glad you quoted it.  I
never get tired of reading it.

Thank you again.

Amanda

Amanda Tink: Email/MSN amanda at amandatink.net
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that
most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of
God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world.  (Marianne Williamson)
*Consider all www users: use, support and create text-friendly sites!*