Problem logging in as root

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Sun May 13 22:17:12 EDT 2007

Hi. It sounds as if somehow the root password got changed, or perhaps your friend ran a passwd -l root accidentally. In any case, I'd ls -l /etc/passwd, to see if it was recently modified. To
reset the root password again, you'll probably have to talk your friend through single-user mode. Or if worst comes to worst, boot a liveCD, chroot to the HD with the system on it, and run
passwd to reset the password. Hth.
- - Igor