Problem logging in as root

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at myfreedombox.com
Sun May 13 22:00:34 EDT 2007

I apologize for the garbled message sent previously. I was typing on
freedombox with key echo on and had awl sorts of transpositions and
missing spaces. Tried to do another email and the same thing was
happening. I have to use freedobox mail because somehow emails to me
from this list and some others are bouncing on my Charter account.
Turned off key echo and now everything seems to be fine; don't know if
it was something in freedobox Key echo, my keyboard, or what.
Admittedly I didn't spellcheck before sending but my spelling isn't THAT bad!!!

I have a friend who suddenly can not log in as root. She can log in
with her normal user password or with mine; I  have an account on her
box and maintain it for her. But logging in as root fails both from the
console login prompt and with su; she doesn't appear to have sudo. I've
checked that she's using the correct password and that caps lock is
off. Does anybody either have an idea what might have caused this or
how we can solve the problem so she can log in as root? She can't fetch
packages because she's using root to start her ppp connection. She
hasn't upgraded for a while so it's not some new package she added
causing the problem.
Thanks for any help and sorry again about the last post; I checked it
this time but now i'm paranoid!!!

--
Email services by FreedomBox.  Surf the Net at the sound of your voice.
www.freedombox.info