the joy of procmail was Re: off-topic posts

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue May 1 14:38:50 EDT 2007

Right, well, the clutter (if you can even call it that) isn't really my main
problem with the OT posts. My main problem is that I think this list has
become the de-facto list for blind linux user questions and it has all but
killed off the blinux list. That's a shame because:
1. That list is a lot more publicized
2. It actually is for general linux questions for the blind

If you google "blind linux user"  the first couple of links are for the
blinux list. I don't know how far you have to go down before you find a link
to this list but it's more than a handful. I'm afraid that blind linux users
are going to find the blinux list and conclude that there isn't much of an
active blind linux user community.  And even if they find this list, they
would conclude that it's about speakup. Not about orca or emacspeak.

I don't know how many people on this list are also on the blinux list. Not
too many I think.   But every once in a while you get someone asking how to
get started with linux. I've  steered some people here saying speakup is
probably the best way to get started.

I don't know... I just think that if this list is going to be about linux
for the blind, it should say so. Neatness counts. And the problem isn't
*really* with my .procmailrc.

list----- Original Message -----