speakup desktop again

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:07:34 EDT 2007

Howdy,
    Emacspeak--http://emacspeak.sf.net--is already a way to speech interface
with Emacs.  It does work with Emacs W3, which does lack some features, I
admit.  But, nevertheless, it does exist and does work.
Another option that I heard recently mentioned on another list was FireVox.
(I can't remember the URL off hand, but do a Google search for FireVox, and
you'll find it.  A bit of trouble to set up, but it's dueable, and does
handle a lot of web browsing needs.)
I personally like Emacspeak--at least so far--but am open to new ideas as
well.  The way I see it, subverting the way existing applications work--or
for instance controling X from the console--isn't really the way to go.
Orca and the like should be encouraged to keep going, because the way I see
things it's only a matter of time before those efforts succeed.
Respectfully yours, and hope this helps some,
Zack.