Baens bar software (was NAEB looking for speakup folks to help implement on ebook reader)

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 25 12:00:41 EDT 2007

Travis Siegel <tsiegel at softcon.com> writes:

> Actually, for the bar, if you use the classic mode (or old bar I
> think they call it) it works fairly well with screen readers.  That
> way, you can also sign up to receive bar discussions via email.
> That's how I participate.

Well, I never got far enough to find any options like those.  You need
javascript to even confirm the password they send you so you're stop
dead in the water at that point.

> I agree, that since they've changed their format last year, things
> got *real* hard to access, but that's a result of the software they
> use, not a conscience design decision on their part.

Well, that is just excusing them of culpability because they trusted
someone else to make their design decisions which is silly.  I realize
they are a publishing company but all publishing has become computer
driven so there is no excuse for not being aware of the technology you
have to use.

> It's extremely unfortunate that they didn't test compatibility before
> upgrading to the new web software, but that's the nature of the beast
> unfortunately.  If you want to complain to someone who *might* help,
> I'd say complain to the shopping cart software folks.  I don't
> remember which one it is, but I'll find out and post if folks are
> really interested in pushing it.  I did complain to the makers, but
> received no response, so I don't know how much good it will do, but
> perhaps if more than one email comes in, they might actually pay
> attention.

Well, I have written and outlined the problems to every address I
could find on all facets of the site.  I don't know that I'd call my
letters complaints exactly but they were pointed comments
nevertheless.  I suspect that they have determined to give all poor
blind people free access to all their books to absolve themselves of
guilt for being unaccessible.  We'll all appreciate that sitting in
our attics reading out our hearts content; I just hope we aren't tied
up to tightly.

Looking back over this I become aware that I am to some extent blaming
Baen for our in-ability to deal with the javascript problem which is
unfair to them.  Maybe I'm also blaming them a bit for my in-ability
to have solved the difficulty as well which is also unfair to them.
This later blame I like to apply to all sorts of organizations which
should really be laid at the feet of the blind community which doesn't
seem to be able to develop their own solutions and would rather dump
on the rest of the world.  So, bring on the ropes, I'll sit quietly in
my chair and stop being such a baby.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061