grml spelling issues

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Sun Mar 18 16:03:03 EDT 2007

Michael Prokop píše v Ne 18. 03. 2007 v 15:59 +0100:
> "I however find Espeak does not sound quite as clear to me.  I like
> the current synthesizer that is being used."
> What benefit would espeak bring compared to eflite?

Compared to eFlite, eSpeak is a multi-lingual synthesizer.
Although the quality of languages is very variable, it is possible to
use it for MANY languages in a way that it is understandable (useful).
The span is even wider than documented, because for example for Czech it
is possible to use it with the Polish voice and understand it. I believe
this is the case for other close languages too. And I'm amazed on how
fast voices for new languages are being added, although of only basic
quality. eFlite is nowhere near this...

> Disclaimer: I can't promise anything regarding adding espeak. We are
> running out of space so the ISO fits within 700MB on grml always...

If necessary for disk space reasons, I highly recommend dropping Flite
in favor of eSpeak.

Have a nice day,
Hynek Hanke