Problem with accented characters

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Sun Mar 18 12:29:50 EDT 2007

Cleverson píše v So 17. 03. 2007 v 23:13 -0300:
> I use eSpeak through Speech-Dispatcher. My native language is brazilian
> Portuguese. In addition to the conventional alphabet and numbers and
> punctuations, We use some characters that are out of ASCII range but not out
> of Ansi range, that is, they are between 128 and 255. For example, the
> characters "à, ê, í, õ, ú" correspond respectively to the ansi numbers 224,
> 234, 237, 245 and 250.

Hello Cleverson,

there is nothing you have to change in the characters tables etc.
If you use a recent version of speechd-up (0.4) and do NOT run it with
the -t option but specify the appropriate character encoding via the -c
parameter, internationalization should work out of the box. Speechd-Up
will to the necessary chartab and characters substitution automatically.

Have a nice day,
Hynek Hanke