small speakup and debian issues

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 13 21:03:44 EDT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Nick Gawronski wrote:

> Hi, I am using speakup with debian etch with 2.4.18 kernel as found at
> people.debian.org/~shane and find that if I type a capital letter the
> dectalk's speech drops pitch and I need to turn off and on the express
> before pitch is restored the way I like it and the rate.

So, it's not a hardware bug in the Dectalk USB after all as I had assumed.
It happens to me with the Dectalk USB particularly when I try to review
rapidly.  The easiest way to get things back is to adjust the value of the
effected parameter up and down by one.  For example, if the rate changes,
hit insert+6 then insert+5 to move the rate up then down.  The same trick
works with pitch, but you use insert+5 then insert+4.  The only way that I
am aware of to disable the preempting is to rebuild the kernel.  However,
this doesn't seem to cause problems with hardware synthesizers.