small speakup and debian issues

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Tue Mar 13 20:22:43 EDT 2007

Hi, I am using speakup with debian etch with 2.4.18 kernel as found at
people.debian.org/~shane and find that if I type a capital letter the
dectalk's speech drops pitch and I need to turn off and on the express
before pitch is restored the way I like it and the rate.  Has anyone else
had this similar problem and will there be a fix for it?  I also find that
if I am reading large passages of text speakup will suddenly stop reading
and I will need to wait and keep pressing the number 7 if I want to read
what has been displaied.  I sometimes use grml with software speech and find
that speakup spells everything instead of speaking it and rather slowly.
Reading on the grml list It looks like the prempt option in processer type
and features is causing this problem.  Is there a way that speakup could be
written where that setting would not effect speech?  Does the debian kernel
for speakup include software speech support?  I also found a debian package
called kernel-patch-speakup that is the source for the patch but when I
tried to patch it into the standard debian kernel the patch failed.  Does
anyone on this list manage that package and could it be updated?