Problems with software speech

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sun Mar 11 15:13:42 EDT 2007

I think the alsa configuration still applies. They are all called things
like asound.rc or .asoundrc.conf. Doing a quick google brings up
www.thepenguin.org.uk/alsa/ which seems to discuss a very similar case
for software mixing and contains a link to the alsa dmixer page.

If you are struggling with using alsamixer to get a list of the
controls, then you may find it useful to define a window and use speakup
in read window mode. Use speakup-key and f2 for setting the window (eg.
on my system in alsamixer I would use the review keys to go to the start
of the 5th row and then press speakup-key and f2 and then use the review
keys to go to the end of the row and press speakup-key and f2 again,
then switch to read window mode. You may find the item row is a
different row on your system), now when you use the cursor keys the item
will be spoken.

From
Michael Whapples