An official slightly off topic anouncement

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Fri Mar 9 18:15:23 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:37 -0600, Anthony Creapeau wrote:
> I myself am not biased to any one OS as each has it's plus and minuses. But
> for running a web server on Windows Professional was probably not a good
> idea because it's actually a client machine used as a workstation in a
> business environment. Each service you install or add to Windows does effect
> the amount of resources that are eaten up in which case a low end web-server
> would have done just fine. I use Window eyes and JAWS, audio converters,
> antivirus and surf the web without a flinch from MS.
>
> Let's not forget virus writers want to inflict as much damage in one
> instance as they can. What OS is the most prevalent in a business
> environment? That's right, Windows and that's why it is so virus stricken.
There's talk that business is not such a target now, home users are
meant to be becoming more tageted as so much more is being done with
computers (eg. shopping online, storage of personal information, etc)
and home computers are being left online for longer now broadband has
taken over from dialup, and the average home users tend to be less aware
of security for their computers.
> Give me one OS on the market today that is impervious to viruses. I can't
> think of one including Linux. Each and every OS has it's drawbacks and
> whatever you choose to use is fine. To each their own.
May be not entirely free of security issues, but one of the most secure
systems is meant to be openBSD, and they claim only 1 remote hole in
over 10 years. They do alot of searching code for bugs and fixing
anything which seems incorrect, even if it isn't proven to be a security
hole.
> From
Michael Whapples