Fedora 6 and Speakup on New Thinkpad

Glenn Ervin GlennErvin at cableone.net
Fri Mar 9 14:24:53 EST 2007

Dawes, Stephen wrote:
> Beth,
>
> Have you thought of running Linux as a virtual machine on your laptop
> instead of a duel boot.
> There are a few out there doing just this with VMWare with success.
>
> In this way, you can also have a number of instances of both
> distributions and configurations to choose from and at the same time
> get
> around the duel boot issue.
>

> Steve Dawes
> Phone: (403) 268-5527
> Email: SDawes at calgary.ca
>

> NOTICE -
> This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or
> entity named above and may contain information that is confidential
> or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named
> above or a person responsible for delivering messages or
> communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED
> that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any
> of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this communication in error, please notify us
> immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this
> communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The
> City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and co-operation.

* * *
can you tell me more of VmWare?
Does it use SpeakUp?
I have a laptop, and I have tried several versions of Linux to try and boot
to software speech, so I can access a hidden drive on my laptop, but neither
distro allowed me to access my sound card.
I did order a USB to serial cable, so perhaps I could use my DecTalk Express
with something.
Glenn